How do you take care of artificial grass?
The most appealing feature , or one of the most, of the artificial grass lawns is that they are low-maintenance. The natural grass needs to be trimmed and watered; there is also the need to apply insecticides, fertilizers, and to do the frequent repairs to the sprinkler system. On the other hand, after admitting that the artificial grass is not zero maintenance, we could assert that the amount of time and money for the care of artificial grass areas is very low. Bellow there are some of the basic care needed for keeping your artificial grass lawns in great shape.
- It is important not to let debris, leaves, or weeds to be in the grass for long time. The frequency of the cleaning will depend of each particular case; grass areas with more trees at the perimeter or in dusty spots will need more care.
– Use a lawn rake, a broom with stiff plastic bristles, or a blower to remove debris or leaves from the grass area. If you are using a blower, or a blower/vacuum , avoid to get too close in order to keep the infill material in place. Do not use a broom with stiff metal bristles, it could damage the artificial grass. Never rest any hot power tool on the grass because the heat could melt the fibers.
– Remove the pet droppings from your grass the same way you do it whit natural grass. After that just hose down the specific spot.
– The fruit from the surrounding trees have to be removed. The fruit that decompose on top of the grass could stain the grass.
– Rinse down the synthetic grass every two or three weeks to remove dust from the grass blades.
– The regular grooming reduces the growing of weeds in the grass area, but in any case, the tiny weeds can be easily pull out or be controlled by spraying weed killer on them. We know that the Roundup brand doesn’t stain the grass, if you use a different product, test it first in a small portion of the grass.
– It is possible to do the cleaning and grooming at the same time. Brush against the grass grain with the broom or handled brush, like the Grandi Groom. You will keep the infill material from compacting and also you will prevent the grass from matting, and the grass will look fluffy and nice. More traffic on the grass areas means more often to perform the grooming of the grass.
– Leave to the professionals. It’s recommended to have the infill level checked and the grass groomed for a professional company about once a year. The regular maintenance includes to add infill material as needed and to groom the area with the power broom machine.
INSTRUCT, TRAIN AND ADVICE
– Instruct the children about not pulling the grass fibers, because the synthetic grass doesn’t grow back. Also instruct the children about no using paint or digging tools on the artificial grass.
– Train your pets about not digging in the artificial grass (most of the dogs don’t dig on synthetic grass). Train your dogs to do their business in a specific spot on the grass or off the grass; it will be easier to deal or control the urine and odors.
– To visitors or contractors about not throwing on the grass burning cigarette butts.
– Covering the grass before the painting of nearby walls.
– Not resting hot power tools on the grass.
– Not installing windows or reflecting surfaces that could add an extra source of heat, besides the natural sunlight, on the synthetic grass area.
– Avoid placing tables or chairs with sharp legs on the grass.